Today I wanted to do things a little differently…instead of bringing you yet another book review I wanted to share some links from my bookmark stash. Also, I wanted to share a little bit on why I’ve saved the site (and should probably utilize it and clean up my bookmarks…)
1. These Adhesive Organization Tabs from The Container Store (http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10030025&N=&Ntt=tabs). I saved these after reading a blog post on I Heart Organizing by Jen about her Martha Stewart Discbound notebook. I’ve been using a couple of disc bound notebooks for several years now, but instead of using these tabs I used plain dividers or the Avery Table of Contents Tabs. I really want to purchase these tabs still and really put more time and thought into my planners, but haven’t sat down to purchase these tabs or spend much time actually “decorating” my planner – particularly since I lost my graduate school job upon graduation last year since it was a student job and since we started building our house I would rather spend money on it instead. (I worked briefly for Walgreens and then as a high school teacher for all of two weeks, but quit because of the environment and lack of resources among other things, not including that I have no ability to communicate with high school aged people.)
2. The Nesting Place Paint Colors from The Nester (http://www.thenester.com/2011/01/nesting-place-paint-colors-a-linky-for-your-paint-colors.html). I love The Nester and have followed her blog for years, but this post has been bookmarked since I knew that we would be moving (and now building) a new house. Her house flows so well from room to room. At least I think it does, from the gorgeous photos that I’ve seen on her blog. This link has been saved so I can agonize over paint colors, because I like to imagine different paint colors in rooms and because I need inspiration for the color palette for our new house. My style and The Nester’s aren’t really similar, but she provides great inspiration nonetheless.
3. A Daily Dish – Petri dish paintings by Klari Reis (http://www.adailydish.com). I’m a marine microbiologist by training (and most of my education-the time spent working toward a Ph.D./working a an academic marine microbiology lab) and we were sent a link of Klari Reis’s work in a forward by a colleague one day. I’ve checked back periodically to see her work every since then. I think these cultures/painting are absolutely gorgeous and I find them to be unusual and quirky and very much in line with “microbiologist humor”. What do you think of her art?
4. The Yellow Cape Cod – “My Home”. I came across Sarah and The Yellow Cape Cod a couple of years ago when we first got married and lived in a camper (camper trailer/rv/5th wheel/gooseneck trailer…whatever you want to call it). Her design style captivated me. I was in love with her bedroom and the drapes she made for her family room I’m still in love with! I like to think I have a traditional/transitional style, but I’m not sure. I like the “look” of the browns, blues, etc, but I wasn’t happy with the darker colors in our trailer (we upgraded from a camper, to a trailer (mobile home), now we are building a house (even if it is a small one)) and am leaning towards more country/rustic/industrial/modern style and paint colors in our new house. She has a wonderful blog and I love to read it on occasion. (I need to get my blog reading list under control. It was easy when Google Reader was around, but I haven’t found a good way to read through blogs since then…I rarely read the blogs that I get email notification from, because I like to look through them in my own time. What do you use? Disqus, Bloglovin, something else? I would love to know what you like!)
5. Traditional Rustic Bedrooms on Houzz This is the general ideas that I came across after taking a “What’s Your Style?” type of quiz after watching too much HGTV. These pictures I’ve gone back to time and time again (not just these two, the whole collection) as inspiration for the feel that I want to achieve in our new house. This page has been bookmarked for a couple of years (like all the rest of these) and I need to get back into my Houzz account and do some cleaning up and organizing so I have a better idea of the direction for our house. We are closer to putting in the sheetrock so soon, I will need to be “concerned” with the design aspect of the house, which will be my favorite and least favorite part. I’m so afraid to “mess it up” like I did with the color choices in our trailer. I want our new house to be a nice haven for us and will be devastated if I’m unhappy with my choices in color scheme/decor, etc.
If you have some favorite bookmarks you would like to share I would love to see them! Please share them in the comments and any ideas/suggestions for me on these bookmarks and questions.